Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Some difficult window work to come

In my estimation, one of the hardest tasks will involve removing this upper plate-glass window -- and installing a new, bedroom window approximately 6 feet higher.

On the outside, all the stucco surrounding this window -- and above it almost to the roof -- must be chipped away.

To meet California Building Code for bedroom egress, the new window must be a normal window that can be opened. Once the stucco is removed, I will frame-in the old opening and create a higher frame for the new 72" x 48" window.

To do all this work on the outside I plan to build wooden scaffolding. But before I even start on the outside, I will frame the new inside-floor so that I have relatively easy construction-access from both sides of the window openings.

The final step on the outside will be framing-in and stuccoing the opening left  once this existing upper plate-glass window is removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment