Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A final stamp of approval

After three or four trips with my plans to the City of Lake Forest building inspector for consultations and tweaking, I finally received the stamp of approval to begin construction.  But before they would even consider my project, the city wanted to see proof that my neighborhood homeowners association had no problem with the addition.  (That was a relatively easy, affordable approval process that involved a few signatures from neighbors.   I mean, who really cares that I'm moving a window higher up the wall?  That's the only external modification to the house.)
I just can't say enough about how helpful the city workers were -- particularly the
plan-checking engineer Tony.   Oh, to be sure he was a stickler.  He made me add some features to conform with the current California Building Code.  For example, I had planned to tie into existing electrical circuits, but the current code requires me to run an entirely new circuit and put it on an AFCI breaker ("arc fault circuit interrupter") to reduce the risk of fire.   Plus, I have to include a carbon-monoxide detector.   Having grown up in South Austin in a different era, I just rolled my eyes and laughed off the "nanny-state" requirements.

The cool thing was that Tony looked over the structural plans and gave me some specific suggestions that would make my life easier -- along with keeping the inspectors happy.

The city permits cost me just under $800, but I feel I got my money's worth knowing that professionals had looked everything over and would eventually sign off on the finished project.

In these copies of the actual permits I have airbrushed out my address and phone number.  Why?  Because only a few days after the permits became public record, I began receiving a barrage of phone calls from contractors and other tradesmen who wanted me to hire them.   This, despite the fact that I have been on a do-not-call list for years.  I not-so-politely told them to NOT phone me, that I don't do business that way. 

(For that matter, I don't hire carpet cleaners, painters, air-duct cleaners, tree-trimmers, gardeners, handymen, or anyone else who cold-calls me at home.  Why, in the year 2011, do small-business owners still think it's ok to intrude on folks' privacy and bother them with phone solicitations?  It seems like an ineffective way to get business.  And it makes me cranky.

When I finally decide to give up my land-line, it will for this very reason:  I hate phone solicitations.








At left, the electrical permit.


Below, the scope of the project (cover sheet of the plan-set).







No comments:

Post a Comment