Monday, December 19, 2011

Final inspection passed!

Monday, Dec. 19:

A Lake Forest city building inspector came out this morning and gave me the final sign-off on my project. For the city's purposes, it is done and legal.  The only remaining paperwork is to send a form to the Orange County tax collector so that I may pay a bit more in property tax each year.
I've installed the french doors, though the door trim and paint will have to wait until 2012. Anne says this now looks like a balcony in "Romeo and Juliet." We really like the coziness of the dining room with the lower ceiling.  It was cold and drafty with the original vaulted ceiling.

In addition to the door trim, I'll need to install baseboards. New carpet will have to wait until we deal with the stairway, which is one of my 2012 projects.  (I want to edge the stairs in wood and get rid of the cheesy-looking carpet that wraps through the spindles.)

The closet doors, trim, baseboards and door hardware will also have to wait until January. (I have temporarily propped the left closet door into the opening.)


I painted the walls with Behr antique-white-flat, and the ceiling with Vista swiss-coffee-flat. I still need to touch up the paint on some of the edges.

The final inspection essentially was for the electrical outlets (tamper-proof) and carbon monoxide/smoke detectors.

One last thing before Christmas:  I will install shutters over the window and spread a doggie blanket over the floor because Chris will have to sleep in here on an air mattress this weekend.  (The other two guest bedrooms are reserved for our honored guests flying over from England.)

No comments:

Post a Comment